The Cup

[As of post time, the FIFA World Cup 2026 is almost 3 weeks over. But better late than never.]

For the longest time, soccer wasn't a sport I would watch. I have no interest on a really long and low-scoring game with players "just kicking" around a ball. I wasn't about to change that mindset anytime soon. But thanks to a recent trip to Seattle, that all changed. The coincidental exposure I had with World Cup fans particularly with the US Men's National Team (USMNT) die-hards, got me feeling hyped. And I know myself and how much I get engrossed and intense when it comes to sports. And thanks to the United States for co-hosting this year's FIFA World Cup (with Canada and Mexico), me and most Americans finally felt why and how the entire world is crazed over "football" and consider it its #1 sport.

The first USMNT game I watched was against Turkey and although US was secured of a Round 32 appearance by winning 2 out of the 3 games in their bracket, a sweep would definitely be sweeter. I was having a post-Father's Day dinner at The Broth while the game was going on and after USA scored a goal, animated and loud as I typically am, for a moment I think I had my boys all hyped up as well. Eventually they lost to Turkey but that was the game that really got me into it. There was no backing out from thereon. I was committed. I even bought a $40 Nike USA Soccer Tee, to my wife's surprise as she knows how cheap I am LOL. Names like Pulisic, Balogun, Adams, McKennie started to register and although I've heard of Ronaldo and Messi before, it's not until the next coming days when those household names started to become finally significant to me. But I knew I was officially a novice fan when I started watching matches between other countries as well and not just Team USA.

World Meets America

Several videos went viral of foreigners finally experiencing the United States. A European family who is used to ordering a pizza for each member (as a whole pie in Europe is good for a single person) was in shock after their waiter handed them 5 enormous individual pies. "What are we gonna do with all this?", you can hear the Dad saying in his flabbergasted accent by the reality that hit them. A French guy can't believe he can have free refills for his soda, "You mean I can have a 100 refills for free?", his friend laughing as the Frenchman gulped the first glass and was so ecstatic asking for another one. An Irish lady's jaw almost dropped the moment she entered Walmart and realizing that everything you need in "life" was in that supermarket. "What is goin' on Walmart?" She also asked her friend if she wanted a sandwich or if she wanted a SAAAAANDWIIIICH showing a really huge sub she grabbed inside. She showed as well how a watermelon in America is bigger than her head. "Absolutely ginormous!" A Japanese couple had their first Texas barbecue and its huge portion and overwhelming flavor was too much for their minds to grasp. It looked like it was the first time they tasted flavor! There was this big Swedish guy who swear that his life will never be the same coming back to Sweden without having to experience again the best tasting tacos he's ever had. A lot of the short videos circling around about foreigners learning how Americans live are mostly about getting overwhelmed by the huge servings, the deep flavors and the variety-- "Twelve flavors of soda!! What in the world!" says another foreigner. America also had a rude awakening of their own when the Scots came into Boston and in a day almost dried out the city's beer supply. I chuckled when I saw that on TV. Scots don't mess around when it comes to beer. They even marched the streets in their skilts while playing bagpipes, watched the Red Sox play first in Fenway Park before heading to Gillette Stadium to watch their beloved Scotland face off against Brazil. It was a spectacle for sure. There are some, however, who completely misconstrued America as nothing but chaos and racism all-around, only to experience great hospitality and calmness. Way far out from what they have been hearing in the news.

USMNT's Disappointing Exit 

The USMNT was going back to Seattle with Belgium in their way to the Round of 16. During the last game against Turkey, US' Flo Balogun, the most consistent player on the tournament, was handed a "red" card by the referee on a controversial call. On replay it doesn't look like it's red card-worthy but the call stood and a red card means an automatic suspension on the player on the very next game. That was a big blow and obviously adds up to the team's chances of overcoming an already seasoned Belgium squad. Both teams were preparing for their match on Monday with Balogun out of the picture. But come Sunday, a huge announcement came from FIFA that they are "postponing" the suspension for one year. Not rescinding the red flag but delaying the suspension. What does this even mean? Based on football experts' reaction, it seems that this was unheard of. And this was just another accusation being thrown out to FIFA who many say are just a corrupt organization. Well, for America, this means we get Flo back and the confidence level from the US fans was back on track. Belgium was livid upon hearing the decision and their Head Coach even had some animated remarks about it during an interview. In the end, it didn't really matter anyway. Belgium won convincingly in one of USMNT's worse games in the tournament. Needless to say, it was a big let down.

FIFA's Integrity

Speaking of FIFA, being a neophyte into this world of soccer, there's a lot of buzz that FIFA has been favoring Argentina to win it all. Word on the street is FIFA President Gianni Infantino is a Messi guy. I wasn't really paying attention to this but as I watched a few Argentina games, I did notice some unfavorable calls against their opponents leading to influenced victories for the Argentinians. Not sure if there is any bearing to this but I heard the brackets were also favored the Argentinians having to face an easier road (lower ranked opponents) to make it to the finals. Which made me really want for Argentina to lose even if I couldn't vet what I heard or saw. Another article I read online that's more likely made up than anything is that the reason why Argentina's Paredes clumsily shoved Spain's Garcia to the ground was because the Spaniard told Paredes that "Infantino couldn't save them from the loss!" implying the alleged bias treatment they've been getting from FIFA's President. Of course that delay in the suspension of Balogun that I alluded to earlier was another questionable move from the organization with rants of how easy FIFA can be persuaded by the pressure or power of influential people. Over-all though outside of these inconclusive accusations, this year's World Cup was a success and FIFA deserves the credit!

Halaand - the man, the myth, the Viking!

I think I speak for every American soccer/football fan in saying that after USA was eliminated, we are all pulling for Norway to go all the way. And it is because of one man, and one man alone-- Erling Haaland. The guy won the internet with his unbelievable skill on the field (already an established player in Europe) but mostly because of his wacky yet humble demeanor outside of it. He became FIFA's most followed athlete this tournament and for good reason. All those pictures of him caught flashing a goofy face while in the midst of a game was hilarious. And his sister's video doing an Erling impersonation was priceless and exposed how uncanny identical they actually look. And even if Norway lost in Round 16 to England, the team came home and was welcomed as heroes. Erling is the type of player America needs who can deliver when needed and fans can easily gravitate to. Plus Norway's Viking Row chant was undoubtedly the coolest thing in FIFA that we have ever seen.

The Future of Soccer in America

America has a long way to go when it comes to making it to the elite circle let alone dominating soccer in the world scene. While in most countries, the sport is THE top sport and is imbued early into every child's DNA whether as an athlete or a fan, in the US, American Football is numero uno. Baseball is second, basketball is third (or the other way around) and I don't even know if soccer is in the Top 5 (after hockey and maybe golf or tennis). Soccer is not a sport that is heavily pushed here in America plus I heard it is an expensive sport for kids to join in. You can't expect to hone kids that way when the average family could barely make ends meet let alone pay for soccer fees. A retired American Football player even said that if you are a young athletic man who has speed and can run routes, you are not gonna end up as a soccer player but a Wide-Receiver or a Running Back in the NFL. Facts because that is where the money is at least here in America. Still, it made a fan out of me and USA hosting this year's World Cup got America watching. I don't know how it would compete with my Packers, Lakers and Dodgers for TV time but I'll squeeze it in every now and then. I can already hear my wife complaining about me getting even more stuck on TV haha!

 

Ro! Ro! Ro!

 

Comments

Popular Posts